Wednesday, December 31, 2014

2014 In Review (or Elizabeth's Top 5 2014 Countdown!)

Ah, 2014...you came, you saw, but you didn't conquer this girl! I am going to keep this post as brief as possible and simply list my 5 biggest lessons from 2014:

5.  I can be fearless, when I want to be.

I tried surfing for the first time. Surfing! Me!! And I did not achieve even one pop-up in the water. But am I going to do it again?! Hell yeah! I will see you in Tofino in the (late) Spring!

4. I am happiest when I exercise regularly. 

Exercise is my biggest form of stress relief, so it still baffles me as to why I cannot get motivated enough to get to the gym regularly. Not only exercise, but self-care as a whole. When I make sure I sleep properly (i.e. not posting blogs at universe-knows-what-time, or staying up late to watch one more episode of whatever I'm currently binge-watching), when I eat whole, nutritious, non-processed foods more than processed, when I take time out for myself, and when I partake in activities that I wholly enjoy, I am my happiest me.

3. I am a feminist.

This used to feel like the F-word to me. I avoided talking about it because it would evoke such reactions from people that really surprised me. There is a lot of stereotype that comes along with the word feminist, or feminism, but plain and simple (at least the way I see it), I am a feminist. According to Merriam-Webster online, feminism is defined as the belief that men and women should have equal rights and opportunities. A feminist is a person who holds that belief. Well...that's me.

2. I'm not picky, I just refuse to settle.

I actually have to give my family and friends a whole lot of credit when it comes to the subject of love and relationships. I have seen and heard of friends getting pestered about giving their parents grandchildren, and being asked a zillion times about whether they are seeing anyone - my friends and family don't do that.

But on the subject of being single for those who are curious - I'm ok with it. It doesn't make me picky to want the things I want. I would rather be single than to be unhappy in a relationship for the sake of being in a relationship.

1. Letting go creates a whole lot of space.

Think of it this way: when you go through your closet and get rid of all the clothes that don't fit or you don't wear, etc., there is so much space to put new things that fit you better for who you are now.

When you let go of all the people, places, things, attitudes, energies and emotions that no longer serve a purpose (and believe me, at one point or another, they all truly had a purpose in your life), you make a heck of a lot of room for the right things to enter your life. Letting go leads to opportunities, and helps you clear out a lot of physical, mental and emotional clutter. 

In the beautiful words of Alfred Tennyson: 

“Hope
Smiles from the threshold of the year to come, 
Whispering 'it will be happier'...” 


Happy New Year, all.

No comments:

Post a Comment