Sunday, August 23, 2009

A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes...

What is it with me and dreams?

When I was younger, I had very very vivid dreams that I now experience in real life - deja vu if you will. Its been a long time since I dreamt one of those dreams and experienced it. But I'm still experiencing whatever is left in the backlog of those first dreams I had way back when.

For most of my adult life, I haven't remembered dreams except for those really disturbing one-offs that just stick with you for a couple days. And when I say disturbing, I mean disturbing. I would wake up in such a state of panic that it took quite a bit of time to fall back asleep. But on a larger scale, I don't really remember my dreams...well, at least until the past year or so.

I seem to be remembering dreams better, at least long enough to interpret them on an free online dream dictionary. Are they your subconcious just sorting out your days events, or is it something bigger? Is your subconcious, sometimes, not all the time, warning you of something big coming? I don't remember what it was I dreamed a few weeks ago, but I remember waking up with a sense that change was coming and it was going to be big. And I still have that feeling. But what I dreamt last night was completely off the wall, and I think it mostly had to do with yesterdays events.

I saw the Hangover, and for anyone who has seen it, you remember how cute the baby in it is, right? Well I did some googling of the movie before I went to it (as I often do) and came to a webpage that had some "behind the scenes secrets" and spoilers. I ignored the spoilers, but one post caught my eye - for some of the movie, they used a doll-baby that looked very realistic in rehearsals for some of the lude things they made the baby do in the movie (those of you who have seen it know what I'm talking about; those of you who haven't, relax, it wasn't that bad, and was quite humorous, and I wouldn't be surprised if many young male parents these days have thought of this...). Well my first dream last night that I remember had me looking after someone's baby. Except that these friends (in my dream, not in real life) had suffered a miscarriage and lost the baby, and they carried around a cabbage patch doll pretending like they had a real baby. And they expected me to care for it as if it were their real son.

This dream could be interpreted 2 ways (and this is just off the top of my head, I haven't looked it up online or anything) - 1-the day's events being sorted out by my subconcious (I have a weeeeeiiiirrd subconcious) or 2-I still feel like my friends having babies isn't real, and that they're just playing house. Maybe it is a bit of column A and a little of column B? Not surprising considering my age, and that everyone around me is "growing up" (thats a whole other post).

So then my second dream happened after I got a text message from a friend of mine - I happened to be concious enough when he texted me that I woke up and we had a brief conversation over text. Then when I fell back asleep, there he was in my dream! Thats a bit easier - I just texted with the guy and maybe was still in a state of sleepiness while texting that my subconcious got confused.

I've always found dreams fascinating. I remember this dream a friend of mine had. For the sake of making this easy, we will call my friends who appeared in her dream A and B - A being her who had the dream, and B being the other friend of mine who appeared in this dream (which is weird cuz they have met like...once).

A and me were in my coffee shop (I don't actually own a coffee shop, but in her dream I did, and it was new) celebrating the opening. I gave A a spare set of keys to the shop for an emergency back-up. B walks in, grabs the keys from her and holds them hostage - he won't give them back. Then he runs away and the chase is on to get them back.

At the time of this dream, I had just started hanging out with B, and him and I were becoming quite close (just as friends, nothing more...), so I interpreted her dream to be that she was a bit jealous of the time I was spending with B because I was hanging out with him more than I was hanging out with her, and that she was scared he would become a better friend to me that she was (NO ONE can ever replace her...NO ONE!)

Interesting, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment