Sunday, January 31, 2010

My Reading List

I just finished reading the book "Animal Farm" by George Orwell. Boy, did this book piss me off!! I truly believe it is our duty and right as thinking and feeling human beings to question anything and everything that does not sit right with us. Blindly accepting something as truth is infuriating! The last paragraph of this book frightened me as well!

"Twelve voices were shouting in anger, and they were all alike. No question, now, what had happened to the faces of the pigs. The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again: but already it was impossible to say which was which." (George Orwell, 1903-1950)

No truer words have been uttered about what "humanity" has become, or at least what the people who run our countries have turned into. Is there hope for us? I certainly would like to think so.

Do I recommend this book for others to read? YES! Anything that would instigate and provoke the amount of thought that this book has in me is definitely worth it! Anything that can spark debate and discussion like this book has in me should be read! I've got a copy if anyone wants to borrow it, and its a short read too!

Now that I'm finished school I do have a lot more time on my hands. I've posted this to my facebook before, but I have a list going of books I am going to read. I won't necessarily write a review on all of them, just the books that really affect me.

The thing I most enjoy about books (and movies and songs, and all things of that nature - entertainment) is that they are meant to make you think and feel. It may be something as stupid as "Wow, I enjoyed that book. It was a nice escape and it was written well" to what I've written about "Animal Farm". I am also not going to go into much detail because I don't want to ruin it for anyone who hasn't read it. Plus I'm not a reviewer...I just spout my own thoughts.

My list to date (in no particular order) is:

The Alchemist (read it)
Animal Farm (read it)
The Davinci Code
Angels and Demons
The Shopaholic Series
A Thousand Splendid Suns
The Kite Runner (is sitting in front of me right now as I type this, waiting to be read)
Kindred
Book of Negros
My Sister's Keeper
The Road
Fool by Christopher Moore
A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore
Mothers and Daughters

Please let me know if you have anything to add to this list. I am up for anything! All genres!!

No comments:

Post a Comment