Saturday, January 30, 2010

Personal Legend

I recently read the book “The Alchemist” by Paulo Coelho. The book is about a young shepherd named Santiago whom we follow while he seeks his personal legend. From this book I gleaned 3 things:

1) We all have a personal legend that we can seek and fulfill – not everyone realizes theirs;


2) If you truly, and purely, want something, the universe will aide you in this in a positive way; and


3) Sometimes what you seek is in the most obvious and simple place, but it takes following what your heart desires to realize it.

I recommend it. I wish I knew Portuguese so I could read the original. The translation felt a bit stiff at times, but for the most part it was a good story. And as cheesy as the teachings are in this book, they definitely rang true for me. I too have goals that I have been seeking since I could talk. My determination and want of these things have never wavered. And I believe the universe has aided me in a positive way. Please understand that when I say “positive”, I certainly don’t mean it has just been handed to me. To be aided in a positive way means going through trials and tribulations – the universe is going to teach you what you need to know in order to successfully obtain what you want. Some things will come easier than others, depending on how quick you pick up on it. With other things it will feel as though you’re banging your head against a wall because you keep repeating the same mistakes over and over and over and over again, and that will keep happening as long as you’re not learning from those mistakes.


I also don’t believe to fulfill your personal legend is to achieve one thing. It’s a legend! It can have many twists, turns, pathways, beginnings and endings. It’s your story, and a story that is focussed on one thing is a bit boring, no? I certainly prefer stories with sub-plots, interesting characters and both sad and happy endings.
Have you thought about what your personal legend could be?

No comments:

Post a Comment