Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Little bit of a hiccup...

So day 5 and 6 went alright - I have a weekend job that can be physical at times, and I did some core work as well, so I say that counts. Sunday night I went out with a couple friends to a house party and had a few beer. It hit me harder than I thought, so Monday was a complete write off. I slept until 2 pm (apparently my body needed it?!?!?) and then felt like crap for the 10 hours I was awake before going to bed again.

I woke up this morning just absolutely livid with myself. How could I slip only 7 days in?!?! It made me think that I was not cut out to make goals for myself. I feel like every goal I make for myself I fail miserably at. Its why I don't set resolutions at new years - just another way to let myself down. But something like this?? Why?

A friend told me that I should not be so hard on myself, that its only a day, and to just keep going and forget it happened. Her words "It was a day, not a week". True, but I wanted to work out for 30 days straight. I feel like a complete failure for not having been able to do that. Another friend threatened to impale me if I were to ever call myself that again. Well...fine, I will try not to. But unfortunately it is a word in my vocabulary.

So today was day 8, and I think it was the most fun so far. I played volleyball at the Coal Harbour Community Centre. For the most part it was good. There were faces there that I recognized from last season, and a whole bunch of new faces. It will be interesting to see what the turn out will be like next week. I already have 2 friends confirmed that they are going to join me for volleyball next week, so that will be fun. I've never played volleyball with either of them before, so it will definitely be interesting. The part that kind of sucked was this old guy who kept acting as if he was trying to coach us. Wouldn't have bothered me if he did it in a positive way. But he was condescending about it, and when I questioned doing three on three (we had enough to have 1 six on six game, why split it into 2 three on three games??) he said "Oh, it will be good cardio for you, give you some exercise." Maybe I was feeling a bit sensitive, but I totally took this the wrong way, and said "I'll have you know I exercise on a daily basis." He didn't say anything to that. But he kept trying to tell me how to play...it wasn't positive. I was glad when he just abruptly left the game. Then a guy who was sitting on the sidelines because of an injury (golf apparently?) joined us, and it was awesome! He learned our names, encouraged us...he was obviously way above us in skill, but he didn't rub it in, and really cheered us on no matter what. I became a better player within 10 minutes because of the change in energy.

So tomorrow is day 9, and I have personal training with my super awesome trainer Nick! Looking forward to that! I feel so good after I exercise.

E.

No comments:

Post a Comment